Saddle Rock - Eldridge - Udall Mill
The Saddle Rock Grist Mill was in operation as early as 1700, some 76 years before the United States of America became a nation. It was constructed from mill equipment brought over from England as well as with local building material. The mill was continuously in operation from its beginning until early 1940 and it commercially produced flour made from corn. The mill sits alongside Udall’s Pond where trading vessels would land from the Atlantic Ocean, arriving from either the East River, or Long Island Sound, and return loaded with flour for sale anywhere in the world. Some of the names of the ships utilizing the mill were carved into the old timbers of the mill and are visible today. The Saddle Rock Grist Mill remained in the private hands of the original owners and their families until 1950 when the Eldridge estate was sold to a developer. The last private individual to own the Mill was Louise Udall Eldridge, who was elected Mayor of the Village of Saddle Rock after its incorporation. Louise Eldridge is reported to have been the first female Mayor in the State of New York. In 1955 the mill became the property of Nassau County, which continues to maintain it as a museum. It has gone through several painstaking restorations in 1940, 1955, 1961, and lastly in 1992 when it was rededicated as a historical site. The Mill is listed in the National Registry.